Sunday, November 3, 2013

Lean In

What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is the essence of Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg. I read this book recently and it resonated strongly with me. 
I HIGHLY recommend both men and women to read it (or watch her TEDtalk, in a pinch). 

This book is not written as a self-help book. Instead, Sandberg writes it as if she is sharing her life and experiences with you. She shares trends she has observed and, in some cases, has broken. Sometimes she uses statistics or other known facts to back up her observations and conclusions, but it never turns into a "do this now and change your life rant". Instead, she provides guidance, insight, and ideas, often times throwing humor into the mix. While she talks a good deal about women in the workplace and how to help them pursue their full potential, she also addresses men. 

Throughout the book, Sandberg identifies problems and offers remarkable insight into the different situations women face in the workplace, and how both men and women can help improve the situation. 
She discusses how to "sit at the table" (joining the conversation and getting your voice heard), mentorship for young women in the profession, how men and women need to work together (from the workplace to friendship and marriage). 

A large subject that Sandberg addresses is how women hold themselves back. While the wage gap between men and women still exists (a whole different can of worms), women are less likely to fight for a fair wage, for the fear that they may been seen as an aggressive b---h. Women are more likely to put themselves in a corner during a meeting instead of sitting at the table and voicing their opinions. Women are less likely to apply for a new position or promotion. They are also less likely to talk themselves up and make their accomplishments known. They fear that they would look self-centered and aggressive. Or that it would disrupt family life. That the risk wouldn't be worth the reward. 

We could sit here all day and discuss why many women think that way. Mind you I said many, not all.

After reading this book, I recognized times when I have sat in the corner and sat at the table. I recognized when I leaned out or leaned in. Through reading this book, I recognized that when a window of opportunity presented itself this year, I chose to lean in and not look back. 

While working as a graduate assistant athletic trainer discovered that I did not want to continue that career path.  (Disclaimer: The athletic training profession is still very important and I respect it greatly). At first, it was shocking, as I thought I had a pretty good plan laid out for my life when I graduated college. However, God opened my eyes to what path I should take, and after graduating this spring, I decided to pursue it. Now, instead of going into a full time athletic training position following grad school, I'm taking the year to apply to physical therapy school. This means taking more prerequisite courses, moving back in with my parents, and working part time at multiple jobs. 

For a little while, I felt like I was taking a step backward. I now realize that I did not. Shifting my course means taking the necessary steps. This year is required to get me where I need to be. And the best part? I'm truly happy where I am. 

Until next time... 

M

(PS. Read the book!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment