Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Idiot I Met Today

Okay.

You all probably read the title of this post and thought "Woah, Molly. Isn't that a little harsh?" 

No. Actually, it isn't. I'll explain why. 
(Warning -  I'm mad, and when I'm mad I get fiery and sassy. Read on at your own risk.)

I'm taking a math course as a prerequisite for physical therapy school. This is where I met Mr. Idiot. 

This guy is probably around my age, maybe slightly older. All I know about him is that he moved to Michigan from California around May, and his job involves selling things. Still, even from meeting him briefly last week, I kind of felt like he was a sketchy guy (I tend to trust my intuition, as it has rarely steered me wrong). Well, today I found out why my intuition was correct. 

Mr. Idiot, myself, and two other guys were at my table doing group work, when Mr. Idiot (on my right) says to the guy to my left , " Hey dude, I've got to go to Nashville, MI today, but I have no clue where it is." 

I laughed and replied, "Well, its pretty much in the middle of nowhere." Yes - I've been there, mainly in high school for sporting events. Its a very rural area.

Mr. Idiot perked up, and then said this completely serious, but oh so intelligent statement (hint -- sarcasm): 
"Oh, the middle of nowhere? That's cool, maybe I can hustle them a little bit - make a little more money - because you know, people out there don't tend to be very educated."

BOOM. 
Red flag shot up. 
AND I instantly disliked this guy. 
While sitting there in my jean shorts and cowboy boots (ironic, I know) I replied, obviously annoyed: 
"Well, I'd beg to differ on that one, considering I'm also from the middle of nowhere." 

Mr. Idiot just looked at me, somewhat surprised, and said "Oh." (SUCH a mature response), then looks to they guy at my left and says: 
"Yeah dude, I had to go to Richland yesterday, and made like 1500 bucks. I was pretty happy because even though I stopped at 4 places, 2 places kicked me out."

Well, I wonder why they might've kicked you out - think they might've seen you as a sleazeball, like I do now? 

Sadly, my professor stopped the group work and continued class, so I couldn't rip him a new one without disrupting everyone (For the record - I thought about it). Or shove my boot up his -- well, you get the idea. And I decided I liked my boots way better than him, so I didn't want to ruin them. 

Here's what I would've liked to tell him:
First, what the hell makes you believe that just because someone lives in a rural area, they probably have a lesser education? If you think you can treat people poorly and do business in an immoral way, just because you're selling to people in the "country", you're the biggest idiot of them all. 

Let me give you a little background information on these "uneducated" country people you're talking about, if you want to strictly talk about schooling:
  • Hi, I'm on of them. I have a bachelor's degree, a master's degree, and plan to pursue my doctorate in physical therapy within the next year. Since I grew up in the country does this make me uneducated? Hell. No.
  • My sister has a bachelors degree, and has started to work toward her master's degree in nursing. Since she grew up in the country, is she uneducated? Nope. 
  • My parents - who chose to live and raise their children in the country - both have bachelors degrees. And my mother was also born and raised in a very rural area. Are they uneducated? No. 
  • Our neighbor down the street is a dentist. Yes, you have to go to dental school for that, in case you didn't know. Its called an education.
  • Let me list for you what my "country" friends have become, or are in the process of becoming: A veterinarian, teachers, nurses, Division I athletic trainers, physical therapists, doctors, successful salesmen, engineers, occupational therapists, accountants... Oh and many more, I don't want to bore you with all of their accomplishments.
Being from the country, I see its good and bad parts. And in my opinion, the good outweigh the bad.  Mr. Idiot - this is what you don't understand about the country:
  • While some people in rural areas may lack to opportunity for further education, the same issues regarding that come up with those residing in a city. 
  • Being from a small town, you understand what its like to have a sense of community.
  • Growing up in a small country town taught me how to appreciate and enjoy the little things, and the big things. It taught me how to look for opportunities, and cherish them when you find them.
  • In a small town, morals and character are harder to hide (ya know, how everyone knows everyone). People talk, word gets around. I don't think you'd last very long in a small town, Mr. Idiot. 
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY: Some of the kindest, most loving, strong, and smart individuals I know are from rural, small town USA. Yes, maybe some of these people don't have any advanced degrees. But that doesn't decrease their intelligence or compassion, their strength or their wisdom. These people know how to truly connect with others, solve problems, work with people, and do what is right. They have big hearts.  Even the most advanced formal education can't provide you with that. 
DEEP BREATH

Okay everyone, my rant is done. For now. I obviously have a bit of pride for where I come from, don't I? I'm sure some of you disagree with me, or think I'm being dramatic. Feel free to argue or challenge me, I don't care. It won't change the way I feel.

(As a disclaimer: I don't love any of my friends and family from cities and suburbs any less, I was just making a point. You're all amazing people, and I love you all to pieces.) 

Thanks for listening folks.

M




No comments:

Post a Comment